LEVEL 1 INSTRUCTOR COURSE
The National EMS Instructor Courses have been designed and developed in accordance with the DOT/NHTSA 2002 National Guidelines for Educating EMS Instructors & the National Education Standards. The IC1 course represents the didactic component and practical application of the educational process for EMS educators specified in over 40 States EMS Rules for Lead Instructors.
The course content provides an introduction to a broad span of educational theory that is heavily reliant on brain-based learning and evidence-based best practices for all levels of experience as an EMS educator.
• To provide tools and resources to educators to accelerate their growth as effective learning coaches.
• To provide contemporary information on the teaching and learning process so EMS educators help their students to achieve their learning goals.
• To provide opportunities for networking with other educators, mentoring by experienced educators, and a catalyst for personal growth.
Mandatory components to successfully complete the course:
• A portion of the course (16 hrs of CE) must be completed online prior to class and includes educational materials pertinent to successful course completion.
• Participants will complete a written post test on the third day of the class which includes information covered in class that is referenced to content in the DOT/NHTSA 2002 National Guidelines for Educating EMS Instructors & the National Education Standards found on the NAEMSE web site.
• Participants are assigned to a team (squad) that is tasked with completing assignments for various course components. Active engagement with team members in a collaborative learning environment is essential to achieving a successful learning experience.
Feedback received from participants in the United States and Canada on this course are tremendously positive. If you've never had the treat of attending, please consider joining us at one of the NAEMSE Instructor Courses!
Individuals who attend the entire course and pass the post test will receive a Certificate of Course Completion from NAEMSE. Continuing education hours have been approved through NAEMSE, which is accredited by the Continuing Education Coordinating Board for Emergency Medical Services (CECBEMS).
LEVEL 2 INSTRUCTOR COURSE
Level 2 of the NAEMSE Instructor Course is a complement to Level 1. As a participant you are not required to complete Level 1. If you are a more seasoned instructor or have been unable to attend Level 1 consider taking this course - topics include: Mentoring, Student Centered Learning, Lesson Plans, Program Evaluation, Administrative Issues, Social Intelligence & Presentation Technology.
Goals of the Course
•To assist attendees with the tools and information needed to further build their leadership skills and better evaluate programs, students, and faculty-representative of the 2002 National Guidelines for EMS Educators.
•To provide tools and resources to attendees who want to teach to the best of their potential.
•To provide opportunities for networking and interpersonal growth.
(To attain these goals, students are required to complete online readings on a learning management website prior to attending the actual course and complete an in-classroom presentation.)
EVALUATING STUDENT COMPETENCY
This 2-day workshop is designed to assist instructors in appropriately evaluating students in all domains as well as complying with CAAHEP accreditation Standards related to student evaluation. This workshop has an online pre-course component that is approximately 4 hours in length. For this session, it is advised that participants have access to the NAEMSE Textbook, Foundations of Education: An EMS Approach 2nd edition (available for purchase from NAEMSE; $75 (includes S&H). The following will be addressed:
- Principles of Student Evaluation
- Constructing an Evaluation Strategy / Case Studies
- Written Evaluation Tools
- Item Analysis of Written Exams
- Cut Score Determination
- Developing a Portfolio Competency Package
- Affective Evaluation
- Simulations & Scenario Oral Evaluation
NAEMSE provides liaisons to the following organizations: